Health Library Explorer
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z A-Z Listings Contact Us

Stroke: Resources and Support

Your loved one may need ongoing therapy or nursing care after a stroke. Talk with a social worker or case manager. Thy can help with planning for care. They can tell you about local sources of support.

Planning for home care

  • A nurse may come and check their blood pressure.

  • A physical therapist may help with exercises. The therapist will often show your loved one and their family members certain exercises that can be done without supervision.

  • Speech and occupational therapists can help the whole family communicate and handle tasks of daily living better.

Healthcare provider taking man's blood pressure at home.

Adult daycare

You may be afraid to leave your loved one alone. Adult daycare facilities can provide supervision if you need time away during the day. They also give your loved one a chance to be with other people.

Other resources

You can also check the internet for other resources. Try the following listings:

  • Churches and synagogues

  • Recreation centers

  • Adult daycare

  • Social services

  • Support groups

  • Online stroke support communities

Online Medical Reviewer: Anne Fetterman RN BSN
Online Medical Reviewer: Deepak Sudheendra MD
Online Medical Reviewer: Raymond Kent Turley BSN MSN RN
Date Last Reviewed: 8/1/2022
© 2000-2024 The StayWell Company, LLC. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional's instructions.
The health content and information on this site is made possible through the generous support of the Haspel Education Fund.
StayWell Disclaimer